What is Microsoft Word used for?
MS Word is a popular word processor and one of the most comprehensive solutions to creating documents on the market. You can produce a wide variety of documents with it, including reports, letters, resumes, and more. Thanks to its intuitive interface and wide variety of pre-designed templates, Word makes it extremely easy to create professional-looking documents in a record time.
Word also offers a wide a generous amount of editing features, carefully developed to make it easier to edit any document. The app includes a grammar and spell check system, as well as the ability to add images, tables and other formatting elements to make your documents stand out. As a WYSIWYG editor (What You See Is What You Get), it’s straightforward to set up and format documents in line with your intentions. This makes it an optimum choice for collaborative tasks where clear communication through your documents is key.
What’s new in MS Word 2021
With the arrival of Windows 11, Microsoft has improved its word processor, launching a new version of Word packed up with exciting tools and features. Here’s what’s new in MS Word 2021.
- Co-Authoring: Several people can open and work on the same document in real time.
- New Interface: Microsoft has modernized Word’s interface, making it cleaner and clearer so it doesn’t interfere with your productivity.
- Automatic cloud save: Word automatically saves all your files in OneDrive or SharePoint.
- Dark Mode: Dark mode in Word now offers a dark interface as well.
- Insert premium content: Word now has an improved content library of stock images, icons, and other media.
- Microsoft Search: Microsoft has added an omni search box at the top of the app that can be used to quickly find sections of text, commands, help and much more.
- Line Focus: This feature lets you read documents line by line without any distraction, darkening the rest of the document.
- Improved draw tab: Word’s draw tab now has a different look in addition to new tools, such as a point eraser, ruler, and a lasso.
- Accessibility checker: The word processor will keep track of any accessibility issues while you work and let you know about them.
- OpenDocument (ODF) support: MS Word now includes support for the OpenDocument format (ODF) 1.3.
- Sketched out style: Now you can give a casual, hand-drawn look to all the shapes of your document with the sketched out style.
Does Word support real-time collaboration?
Yes. With a wide range of real-time collaboration features, MS Word takes the lead over competing word processors available for Windows PCs. With MS Office Word, you have the ability to work directly on the Cloud, thereby integrating the program with multiple apps. You can share your documents with colleagues or anyone else with a single click. The recipient can then open the document to edit or add comments in real-time.
Microsoft Word Vs Google Docs
While MS Word and Google Docs are the most popular tools for creating and editing documents, Microsoft Word is tried-and-trusted word processor that is installed locally, while Google Docs works principally online. Newer versions of Microsoft Word attempted to address this with the addition of OneDrive and online collaborative features.
Both are great word processors, but which one is better?
- Tools: Word offers a wider selection of both basic and advanced tools for creating texts, making it a better choice for businesses and professional editors.
- Features: Both Word and Google Docs bring an excellent selection of formatting and layout options. While Docs is much more simple and streamlined, Word brings advanced features like the ability to add macros.
- Compatibility: MS Word is compatible with a larger selection of file formats than Google Docs.
- Collaboration: Google Docs was specifically designed for collaboration, offering features like real-time editing, seeing who’s accessing a document or the adding comment threads to documents. MS Word 2021 has added new collaboration features to the program, but they are not still at par with Google Docs.
- Price: Google Docs is free software and the only requirement to access it is having a Gmail account. Word, on the other hand, is a paid service, whether the user decides to purchase it as a standalone program, as part of Office 2021 or through the Microsoft 365 subscription.
As you can see, both word processors perform well and the choice between them will depend on your preferences. However, if you are looking for a complete and powerful editing tool with a wide range of file formats, Microsoft Word is definitely the one you are looking for.
Does Office 365 include Word for free?
Yes, Office 365 includes Microsoft Word for free, along with other popular Office applications such as Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote. Office 365 is a subscription-based service that requires a monthly or yearly fee to access its full range of features.
Is it free to download and install Microsoft Word on its own?
Yes, it is possible to download and install Microsoft Word on its own through the Microsoft Word download page on the official Microsoft website or a partner website. However, this may require a one-time purchase or a subscription plan, depending on the version of Microsoft Word being downloaded.
How do I install Word on Windows 10?
To install Word on Windows 10, there are a few different options available. One way is to purchase and download the standalone version of Microsoft Word online and follow the installation instructions. Another option is to subscribe to the Microsoft Suite Office, which includes Microsoft Word, and install the entire suite of applications onto the Windows 10 computer. Additionally, some Windows 10 devices may come with a pre-installed version of Microsoft Word, depending on the device and the version of Windows 10.
Essential on any computer
Microsoft Word is one of the most powerful and versatile word processors on the market. Whether you’re a business professional, a student, or you just want to write every so often, Word has something to offer. Since it’s backed by Microsoft, the software receives regular updates and bug fixes. MS Word comes with a wide range of features, collaboration tools, intuitive functionalities, and more. When it comes to simple, effective, and efficient document processing, you can’t go wrong with MS Word.
Word unleashes creativity with Microsoft 365 copilot integration
Microsoft 365 Copilot revolutionizes the way users interact with Word by working alongside them in real-time. It aids users in writing, editing, summarizing, and creating content while they work, allowing for a seamless and productive experience. Copilot enhances the creative potential of Word by providing relevant and actionable results based on users' data and apps, transforming it into a powerful productivity tool.